November 11, 2010

cool weather means a warm oven!

Ok, so still no pics of Sydd's sweater, but it's half done (and the lamby is in parts waiting to be stuffed and sewn closed).

What can I say, distractions abound, books to read, quilts to design and sew - this makes March seem much closer - and BAKING to do!!! I don't know what it is about Fall that just trips all my nesting instincts, but there it is. I've been day dreaming of baking breads, cakes, cooking soups and casseroles and just making about any warm, soul satisfying meals you can think of.

Since it's just myself I find that many recipes are just too big and breaking down the recipe isn't always an exact 'cut in half' process, especially for baked goods. So, perusing my library I found Small-Batch Baking by Debby Maugans Nakos. Needless to say I now have a copy of my own. OMG! She has some killer recipes in this book (Lemon shortbread squares, drool!) and the small batches are just right size (serves 1-2) which is a life saver because if my mouth likes what it's tasting I will eat it until it's gone...sad but true.  

Now, I don't want you to think I live only on baked goods, I wish, I do try to eat relatively healthy, leaning towards a vegetarian menu more often than not. Another great book for smaller recipes is The Pleasures of Cooking for One   

If you want some great recipes with unique twists I highly recommend the blog 101 Cookbooks. Heidi Swanson is a food photographer, and cookbook author, and both talents come shining through on her blog. 101 Cookbooks is full of wonderful vegetarian oriented recipes that use ordinary, and some not so ordinary, vegetables and grains in a fresh bold way. You should definitely check it out.





No comments:

Post a Comment